Thursday, March 25, 2010

“I’m not arrogant!”

Shahid Kapur Opens His Heart Out To Subhash K Jha

Do you enjoy the newly-earned reputation of a casanova?
I’d say that 80-90 per cent of what is written about my private life is false. I wouldn’t say I haven’t been in a relationship after my last very public relationship (with Kareena Kapoor). But now I’ve become far more guarded about my private space. I think it’s time people recognise that even public figures have the right to their private space. Of course, people are curious about my life. And there will be a little bit of transgression into my private life. It’s up to me to draw that line.

Even your roles reflect your new boy-grows-into-man persona?
I played these sweet boy next door in “Ishq Vishq” and “Vivah”. Now I’ve played a kamina in Vishal Bharadwaj’s film. Even my directors started casting me in these not-so-sweet roles. Now I’ve gone to Papa (Pankaj Kapur) and asked him to direct me in a nice sweet love story to retrieve my innocent boy next door image.

Your innate sense of shyness is often misconstrued for arrogance?
I know I have that reputation. But it’s not well-earned. And some of this reputation comes through my performances. If the character is required to be arrogant that’s how I’ve to play it. In “Kaminey” I played a double role, one arrogant, the other unsure and compassionate.

Does it hurt when you are called arrogant?
I’ve got used to hearing that I’m arrogant for five years now. I’ve gone through various stages, trying to come to terms with that reputation. I even tried to change my behaviour to come across correctly. Eventually I reached a stage where I realised that the people I matter to and those that matter to me, are with me and believe in me. There are so many things said about an actor, and all of it is not true. I don’t get affected by all this. Very honestly, if I was arrogant my family would’ve pulled me up for it.

So how would you describe yourself?
I’m not arrogant! I’m confident but reserved. I suggest people get to know me better before deciding. I don’t believe in looking back or making an exhibition of myself about the wrong done to me. I hate that kind of emotional self-indulgence.

Tell me about your beginning?
I was born and brought up in Delhi in a rented place in Saket. Till I was 10 I lived with my grandparents. My parents separated when I was three. I had no clue that at the age of 28 I’d be a decently successful actor. I feel that God has given me way too much. I’d be really stupid to dwell on things that went wrong in my life. I truly believe that whatever goes wrong finally comes out right in unexpected ways.

Why are your films relatively few and far between?
I've come to know many things about myself. I've realised I only like doing one film at a time. I don't quantify my assignments consciously. If I like five films, I'll do them all. After “Vivah” I didn't like anything that was offered. So I sat home for six months until “Jab We Met”. But yes, I must admit that today I feel more responsible towards myself as an actor than I did earlier. It's the place I'm in now. But I'm only 29. And I don't need to take myself that seriously. But one thing is for sure. I won't go on a film set until I'm convinced about the script. I think, for an actor, being part of a good film is more important than giving a good performance. And it's good films that give an actor the position where he can pick and choose. It has to be the script that excites me and a director whose work I like. It's also about the state of the mind. If I'm in a dark place I might do a comedy.
For Complete IIPM Article, Click on IIPM Article

Source :
IIPM Editorial, 2009


An IIPM and Professor Arindam Chaudhuri (Renowned Management Guru and Economist) Initiative

Read these article :-



Outlook Magazine money editor quits
Don't trust the Indian Media!

No comments: