Friday, September 18, 2009

A racket called Vir

When Vir Das opens his mouth, you do too… to laugh! For India’s best-known stand-up comedian, interviews – like this one to Neha Sarin – are shoehorned into a day’s work…


If it takes genius to create comedy, and madness to fuel genius, how much of Vir Das is pure madness?

I don’t know if it takes genius to create comedy. I think it just takes suffering, insomnia, alcohol and extended periods of celibacy. As far as my own personal madness goes, it’s only when I’m on stage; the only area of my life where I am completely fearless…

There are countless comics around…What's Vir Das’ USP? How are you different from say, Russell Peters, Dave Chappelle, or even Jim Carrey in his heyday...?

I think my USP is how little my act really is. I don’t do race, I don’t do topical, I don’t do political. I simply do observational. My act is all about the little things in life that you never ever imagined would be funny by virtue of how mundane they are. That’s what is interesting to me – to make comedy out of what is popularly considered ‘insignificant’. Plus what really sets me apart from the other PROs – they seem to have money.

How different is Vir Das, the man, from Vir Das, the performer?

They could not be more different. Vir Das, the performer, is outgoing, fearless, witty and edgy. Vir Das, the man, is introverted, shy, a homebody and socially retarded.

Which part of the world would you want be reborn in?

Somewhere Angelina Jolie schedules her adoptions.

Who is your favorite stand-up comedian?

Bill Cosby. Never has there been an observational comic like Cosby in his early years. Took the littlest things and made them funny. ‘Made soup out of rocks’.

Which daily routine of yours would you wish to outsource?

Hmmm…shaving. I have never understood why men do it. Covering your entire face in foam, looking like Santa Claus and then transforming yourself into a plucked chicken.


If you were to pull your own leg, what would you say?

I’m 5ft 9inches. I would rather pull both of them, try and stretch those buggers a bit.

What time in the day are you serious?

The five minutes before I go to sleep. I pray.

Five easy steps to becoming the best brown stand-up comedian in the world…

1. Become brown.

2. Don’t try and be funny.

3. Be truthful.

4. Have no fear.

5. Never forget that you have the best job in the world.

How do you switch modes between being an actor and a comedian?

It’s not that tough really. I trained as an actor for five years. It was the flaky serious body work, voice work, Stanislavski, Shakespeare, Chekhov five-year training that pushed me into stand up in the first place. It was my rebellion. Now that I am acting again, it’s like coming back to an old girlfriend. You never really got over her. Your next venture is “Delhi Belly”. How did you land such a ‘meaty’ role in an Aamir Khan production?


For Complete IIPM Article, Click on IIPM Article

Source :
IIPM Editorial, 2008

An IIPM and Professor Arindam Chaudhuri (Renowned Management Guru and Economist) Initiative


Read these article :-
Delhi/ NCR B- Schools get better
IIPM fights meltdown

No comments: